Welcome to Our Lady of the Assumption Parish
Infant Baptisms (in English)
Congratulations on the birth of your child!
We are happy to assist parents to have their children baptized into Jesus Christ and to welcome them as members of the Catholic Church. Children under 7 years of age may be baptized at the request of their parents. Children over 7 years will need to follow a process adapted from the Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults. Being active members of a parish community enables parent(s) to authentically raise their children in the Catholic Faith.
Parents need to be registered members of Our Lady of the Assumption Parish, or reside within the parish boundaries. Parents residing in other parishes will be asked to obtain a letter of permission from their parish pastor to baptize their child at Our Lady of the Assumption.
Godparents are a special examples of the Catholic Faith for parents and for their child. The following are requirements for godparents to be qualified for this special responsiblity:
- Canon Law requires, at least, one godparent to be a Confirmed and practicing Catholic over 16 years old.
- If a godparent is married, they need to be married in the Catholic Church.
- Godparents attend Sunday Mass regularly.
Some families wish to have more than two godparents. Any and all Catholic friends and family may be unofficial godparents. Non-Catholic Christians may be on the record as “Christian witnesses” so long as they will support the parents in raising the child in the Roman Catholic Faith.
- First step is to complete the pre-registration form online.
- Second, fill out necessary documentation with the priest or deacon (a copy of your child's birth certificate is required).
- Third, attend your preparation class.
- Obtain your child's birth certifcate to bring to your appointment with the priest or deacon.
Available dates for pre-baptismal classes and baptism will be discussed during your meeting with the priest or deacon. Families with children over 4 years old may be asked to complete a workbook with the child.
Many families attend class during the month of the baptism; however, if you are expecting a baby in the next few months, you may begin the pre-registration process and attend class before the baby is born.
Pre-Registration: Click HERE
- Pre-Registration is required before your child can be baptized.
- Both the parents and the godparents are expected to attend a pre-baptismal class.
- Godparents who live in another locale may attend class in their own parish.
- There is one (in person) class held on the first Sunday of each month from 1:00 p.m - 3:00 p.m. The class is held in the Parish Center, Santa Cruz Room.
Baptisms are celebrated on the second and third Sundays of the month at 2:00 P.M. in the Church.
Dates are changed occasionally, so please call the parish office to verify them.
- Baptism Information Brochure - English Version (PDF)
- Baptism Information Brochure - Spanish Version (PDF)
Bautismos en español